Tuesday 24 February 2009

Fleet of Battle Ship Counters




I recently added my Fleet of Battle rules to the files sections of various Yahoo Groups (piquet, war galley and ancmed.) I use 1: 600 models by Xyston, but I remember that back in the halcion days of school libraries, Donald Featherstone's book Naval Wargames and lack of pocket money, I made do with cardboard counters with drawings (by hand) of triremes and the like on them. Now in these modern days and computers and home printing much nicer counters can be fashioned very quickly. So for those of you that are short of pocket money - here are some I made earlier (so to speak). I'm not sure why the trireme picture is much smaller than the trimiola because they were done using the same template; perhaps they are the same size when you click on them - we will see; but if they are not you can resize them (where required, I copy into MS Word, double click on the image, click on 'size' and change).
Later this week I will try and put the rules on this blog. The problem is not being able to do tables, so I might have to paste them into into paint and load them as 'images'. I also hope to increase the range of counters: Over 30 years after my first attempts they are still fun to design - with PCs in almost every home the kids of today don't know they're born!

5 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

I was using raw HTML code to create tables and then I came across this hint/tip:

http://www.mt-soft.com.ar/2008/12/06/how-to-create-tables-in-blogger/

Now let's see those rules... :o)

Bluebear Jeff said...

James,

I don't know if you're familiar with them or not, but you should take a look at Eric Hotz's "Roman Seas" site:

http://www.romanseas.com/

For very reasonable sums you get to download then build as many paper models of 1/300 ships (that is approximately 6mm size).

He has various different sets (Roman, Carthaginian, Merchant, Barbarian, Marc Anthony) as well as buildings and fortifications that you can download . . . this looks like a truly great resource for playing with galleys.


-- Jeff

JAMES ROACH said...

Hi Jeff,

I have about 100 1:600 metal galleys by Xyston. I did the counters for those who want to give the rules a go without any outlay (save paper, ink and perhaps some glue and cardboard), and for my own fun; if people like gaming with galleys buying and making models will surely follow - Roman Seas is a good and cheap way to upgrade.

James

Unknown said...

I had a question on the sequence cards - does each card flipped only allow you to take those actions for one squadron, or all of them?

Thanks,

JAMES ROACH said...

All of them.